20100830

Physics Demo: Non-Newtonian Fluids like Cornstarch + Water aka Oobleck

What's cool about Non-Newtonian fluids like Cornstarch + Water, a.k.a. Oobleck, is the fact that it has a hard time deciding what physical state it wants to be in; a liquid or a solid. It has a lot to do with the molecular bonds as I've learned in my attendance of Eastern Michigan University's chemistry lectures. The molecular bonds are stronger in Oobleck than your typical liquid, yet weaker than your typical solid.  Hence the puzzling nature of this Non-Newtonian fluid with an identity crisis. It doesn't know what it wants to be!

Here is a video I recorded of myself and my friends at All Hands Active (AHA!) demonstrating the effects of Oobleck when you place the substance on a vibrating speaker.  We were also advertising our organization on the streets of Ann Arbor, MI, and we drew in quite a crowd who were dazzled by the spectacle.

Behold the power of physics.